Saturday, August 28, 2010

En Okinawa

This post is a continuation of the Cook invasion series...dinner on Day 2. In real time, it's a regular ole Sunday morning. I'm finally catching up on some blogging, TV, and hopefully some projects, cleaning, and reading. It's been a great weekend with a little beach time, a looong nap, karaoke, doggie cuddling (pathetic, I know), etc. ON the other home front, Zac is officially in another country, en route to his final destination somewhere in Afghanistan (I guess?). He was semi-stuck in North Carolina for almost two weeks, so it's good to know that he has safely arrived (back) on the Asian continent and to get this deployment on the road. We'd really appreciate your prayers for: Zac's continued safety on his travels, our other friends/neighbors who are also travelling in the same "direction," communication opportunities with Zac, and continued patience and reliance God throughout the coming months.


(Update: I just found this post wasn't published, though it was written a couple of weeks ago. It still is a Sunday morning, but way after I originally wrote this...and also makes the cook trip saga a little out of order! My bad!)


Day 2 was fun-filled, and we ended the day with a really fun dinner at a great Okinawan restaurant, En Okinawa. It was a great Japanese eating experience and the most exciting part of the evening was a Eisa dancer show in the restaurant. Eisa (pronounced ace-uh) dancing is a cultural Okinawan dancing comprised of sharp moves and drumming. The restaurant also has a HUGE drum that is hundreds years old.

As I was writing this post, I realized that I didn't take many (errr...any) photos this night. I do have a couple of videos and some pictures from another time we went to En Okinawa with some friends.


En Okinawa was also the first time the Cooks tried sashimi! Zac loves En Okinawa's sushi/sashimi, so when in Rome...I think they did VERY well with their first try with raw fish, and maybe even enjoyed ?!

(These pictures are from a separate time we went to En Okinawa. I also tried to upload some videos, but after several hours of not uploading, I gave up.)

The Shisa dog dance. It isn't in this video, but the shisa dog would go around "biting" peoples' heads, which is said to bring good luck! 




1 comment:

  1. This was an amazing place. The 400 year old drum really shook the place when that guy was banging it out. And YES, we loved the sashimi!

    ReplyDelete