Monday, November 15, 2010

November Notes

I don't really have anything really interesting or cultural to share this time around. But, for a few tidbits on life this month...

1. I've started (fairly) regularly attending ZUMBA at the gym. It's a latin dance inspired aerobics class. It's super fun to dance around than, say, marching in place on an elliptical.

2. Speaking of marching, I definitely saw an Okinawa taking a "march." Which I assume is similar to taking a walk or taking a jog, but this guy was definitely marching. Windsuit and all.

3. I think we're halfway through!!!

4. Communicating to Afghanistan is rough. Especially when one party does not have reliable internet. Without that, all the miraculous inventions of the last 10 years are useless, if not completely frustrating. I'm surely thankful for anything I can get, but it just gets old after a while. It's exhausting emotionally and relationally (word?).

5. Fortunately, we got in a GREAT Skype session Sunday afternoon. Probably haven't had a good talkin' to since September. A little breath of fresh air sure goes a long way for the soul.

6. Speaking of souls, I've been teaching the Confirmation class at church this year. Let me tell you, it's not the same as my confirmation experience with 300+ kids going through at the same time. My class is 5 boys. 5 eighth grade boys to be exact. What a trip! I hope and pray in some form or fashion I'm getting through to them. Even if I do use doughnuts as a bribe from time to time...

7. Thanksgiving is in a week and a half! Holey smokes! I'm off again to Tokyo for a girls' trip! Konnichiwa Tokyo!

8. I think I'm used to the fact that stores start the Christmas decorating thing before Halloween. Although, I wasn't quite prepared to hear Christmas music playing so soon. I think there must be market research that says people buy more when they hear Christmas music. The BX was already blaring their Christmas tunes this weekend! Ha, I beat them, though. After spending $500 on contacts and glasses (thanks to my fabulous Tricare coverage...you sure you want government insurance, America?) I escaped the BX with just my cotton balls and paper towels, booya. [And who knew glasses were so dadburn expensive? Probably doesn't help that I'm legally blind. And they were very generic, no Gucci glasses here.]

9. I officially switch over to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. I have quite a collection going, and usually add a new album every year (or two). This year, the new addition definitely going to be Dave Barnes. It looks like there are some new songs and a couple of oldies/goodies. If you've never heard of Dave Barnes, his song "Nothing Fancy" is a great one...and the namesake of this blog!

10. Zac told me the other day that the Josh Groban version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" will be especially hard to listen to this year. I had completely forgotten about it until he mentioned it. If you don't know, this particular version has messages in from deployed military to their families played intermittently throughout the song. Makes me cry on a normal Christmas, and now makes me just thinking about it. Note to self: Do not put on Ipod!

No comments:

Post a Comment