Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Back By Popular Demand...

I guess we've been slacking in the blog/communicating with America department. Sorry about that. Funny how having a job monopolizes your time...

I don't have any new pictures loaded (although there are plenty patiently waiting in the camera), but I can provide you with a rundown of the month...

May just flew by! It seems that the weeks go slowly but the month just skates on by. I've been working at the USO for almost two months now. Slowly but surely, I'm feeling my way through the job and learning a little about accounting and a lot about patience and playing well with others. I have this verse sitting in front of me everyday:

"I've refined you, but not without fire. I've tested you like silver in the furnace of affliction."
-Isaiah 48:10 - The Message

Not to say that I'm really facing any huge hardships like unemployment, financial strife, illness, etc. We are soooo very blessed in all aspects: friends, family, jobs, safety, health... It's those little things that put us off that we have plenty of - a huge opportunity to grow and learn.  In other words, (and as my mom would say), it's character building. Our character has grown quite a bit in the past month.

Also, since I've been working, I've come into some kinda party planning ZONE. Pretty much meaning in my down time at work, I just crave social interaction, and so I plan parties via facebook. It's been great to get together with others in the building for game night, cookouts, and whatever else! Summertime=PCS (permanent change of station) in military life, so we've had a lot of new people in the building, so it's been exciting to expand our circle of friends!
Work at the beginning of the month was a brutal whirlwind, getting through my first "monthly close." Then things settled down, and POOF, it was Memorial Day weekend! It was a big break that we both desperately needed. The weekend started off with one of our good friends' birthday party. Saturday afternoon we headed to the northern part of the island to a resort to celebrate or first anniversary for a couple of nights. It was so great to relax and spend time with each other and away from responsibility and chores. We also stopped by a glass blowing place and bought some glasses - Zac even made one on his own!

I'm glad to see the "rainy season" wind down. And I'm talking R-A-I-N-Y. It rained, I'd say, at least 80% of the past two months. Sunshine is a welcome treat! Although the end of rainy season comes with the beginning of typhoon season. But growing up in coastal Texas has certainly prepared us for the typhoon season ahead. {Typhoons are the Pacific's version of hurricanes.} Speaking of nature, we experienced our second semi-major earthquake a couple of weeks ago. I think it was around a 6.0 strength. I was semi-worried, since we now actually have stuff on the walls, but it was no problem...just a little swayin' in our concrete block of a home.

Zac has been really pretty busy the past few months, even after coming home from his "cruise." He's been out in the field a couple of weeks this month. He was at the range to fulfill some shooting requirements for one week - at which, if I can brag a little on my hubs, he did extremely well - it's a comforting feeling to know you live with someone who can shoot straight. Then he was at JWTC - jungle warfare training course - for 3-4 days, training in the jungles of northern Okinawa. He said it was really beautiful out there, and they did some fun (?) survival activities. However, in the middle of rainy season, we had camo hanging around the house to dry for days. Fortunately, June wraps up Zac's rotation with the MEU and within the next couple of weeks he'll start his transition with the next guy. I can't say that either of us are sad about it...It has definitely been a growing and learning experience for Zac with many "situations" to handle (including one at 3:30 am during our anniversary excursion!).

Thank goodness it's summer, though for the first time EVER, I will not have the summer off! Hopefully we'll make the best of the time we have. I'll certainly try my best to update with our latest adventures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment