Sunday, February 7, 2010

Symphony of Lights



[I hope this video works. I've never tried uploading one here before.]

This is a little taste of the Hong Kong harbor. Every night there is laser light show on both sides of the harbor to music. We caught it our last night there, although it took us a while to find the music. Anyway, it's pretty amazing how MANY huge buildings are part of this and how they created it to begin with.

In my life now: I had a scare for the past 24 hours. Let me take a step back to a few months ago...My computer quit charging the battery, meaning I had to keep it plugged in full time. No biggie. It's 2 years old, and maybe approaching the end of its life. So yesterday, I was using the computer and it wasn't charging at ALL. It was just dying, and there was nothing I could do about it. (Is it sad that this vignette/melodrama is about a computer?!?) It freaked me out, given my computer is really the only outlet to the world: it's my tv, face to face interaction with others via Skype, and so many other things. Well, I gave it CPR by taking out the battery and blowing on it. [Sidenote: does anyone know why we do this? We did this all the time with our original Nintendo games...why did we know it was going to work? Mario is messing up so we obviously need to blow into the cartridge and nintendo box to make it work??] Anyway, it worked. And not only did the battery start working, it started charging again too! My laptop was once again mobile!

Not two hours later, it started dying again. I would wiggle the cord and it would plug in for a second and then unplug again. I slowly watched the battery drain, and in futility, the last seconds of battery, I googled "how to fix computer cord HP." I got to the site just in time for the screen to fade. (The only thing I saw on that fix it site was you needed a hacksaw...probably not the road I would've taken to fix a cord.) It was gone.

I went to our puny PX, thinking I might get lucky and find something to resuscitate the battery, but no such luck. I thought of the weeks that it would take to get another cord/battery out here and what would I do?! I couldn't even find a job because all of the listings are online and all of my resumes are on my computer! Today, I went to the slightly beefier BX in hopes of finding anything to help. I even contemplated buying a new one. There was a universal cord, so I bought it, hoping that it was the cord that was the problem in the first place. I plugged it in at home, trying all of the little adapters, and on about #6, I saw a blue light, and Alas! My computer lives on!

Phew! What a story! And what a day! It's crazy how much we rely on our computers these days. You can't even do your taxes these days because all of the W-2s and 1099s and tax software are online! And if I just wasted 5 minutes of your life, I apologize.

1 comment:

  1. Nope. You didn't waste 5 minutes of our time. BUT, we do want to talk to you on SKYPE! When? Let do this!!!

    ReplyDelete