Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hong Kong: The Final Frontier

Time to wrap it up.

I've been hanging on the memories of our last trip just about in time to go on another trip. This post will detail our last day of 2009, Hong Kong style. We spent the day at Disneyland Hong Kong (you're never too old for Disney, right?) and and fun night out on the harbor to ring in the new year (with millions of our closest Chinese friends).

We started out early and head over to Disney. There is a special train (MTR) that goes just to Disney, and you won't mistake where you're going. One thing that impresses me the most about Disney is their attention to detail...even down to the subway holds:
Notice the Mickey shaped windows as well!

I was as giddy as a little kid as we entered the (Asian) Magical Kingdom. I have to admit, though, it's just not the same as "big" Disneyworld in the states. But exciting, nonetheless. Zac....not as excited...


Just kidding, he was excited...I think. 

We had our fill riding Space Mountain, Dumbo, It's a Small World and a few other rides. The biggest surprise was the longest lines in the park were to take pictures with Minney and Mickey. Not the rides. Better for us!


Zac was obsessed with the Buzz Lightyear ride. You get to shoot lasers at all of Buzz's nemesi(?) in this rotating chair and they keep score. I'm not gonna lie...I won. Did I mention we rode this twice?


It's a Small World, amidst the mountains of China. It was Christmas themed, which was just great!

The 3-D show

The 3-D show was a highlight, and we just happen to stumble upon it. I don't know the last time I went to a 3-D show (although I do remember my first experience when I was about 6 at Disneyworld. All I remember is a scary witch coming at me), but it really is pretty cool. It's like things are flying at you! (Duh, it's 3-D). Well, this fascinated our Chinese co-tourists to no end. In fact, it seemed so life-like to them that they thought they could just grab those flying objects. Yes. They spent most of the movie reaching out and grabbing those holographic images. It was hilarious. It made the trip to Disney. 



We finished out the day with some hot chocolate milk (you couldn't just ask for hot chocolate or they got confused) and a classic Disney parade. My heartbreak of the trip: Cinderella was faced the other way the whole time! I never got to see her face! Se la vi. 

We took the train back to the city, 


As Zac basked in the glory of a fun day at Disney

With his good friend Mickey (see it in the case?)

Hong Kong Disney wasn't nearly as big as the huge park in Florida (I've never been in California), and we pretty much did it all by 3 pm. So we headed back to the city to squeeze in as much as we could. [That's when we went up the looong escalator] and got ready for a fun New Years Eve.

We found a great place on the harbor and had a delicious dinner. 

A New Years' toast.
We walked around as much as we could, but several streets were blocked, the crowds were huge, and the "breeze" off the harbor was incredibly cold. We finally made our way to find a spot to watch the fireworks to ring in the new year. With about a million other people. 


Fortunately, we were stationed right next to the ferry, hopped on, caught a taxi, and were back in the hotel by 1 am. We are quite the party animals.

What a neat way to bring in 2010. It will surely be a great memory! I hope that 2010 is as exciting as 2009 (but hopefully less moving...)

Welp, that's all I got. Time to take another trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment