Thursday, December 3, 2009

Botanical Gardens

On a random Thursday afternoon, my friend and I decided to do an "activity." We started out with the goal of checking out the "nature park" down the road from the base. That ended up being a dirt road along a bayou (could you even call it a river?). So not really much nature to enjoy. We then set out to find some nearby castle ruins. We weren't really sure where they were....and therefore we never found them. But we did find the Southeast Botanical Gardens, not too far from our base, and something we drive past every time we go to the BX. It was a blustery day (we would have been better off with a light jacket), and ended with some ominous clouds, but I'm so glad we got to experience it. I can't wait to go back in the spring, where we can enjoy the sun and some new blooms.

I took a TON of pictures (you just can't stop once you start snapping with the SLR) So I'll try to pare it down and show you some good pictures/interesting things.


Shisha dogs. This is a very traditional Okinawan "symbol." You find them outside almost any building or house on the island, including our apartment building on base! They always come in two lion/dog- looking animals. One has it's mouth open to share the goodness of what's inside (the building) and one has it's mouth closed to ward off evil/keep bad stuff out. 


It was a huge place with acres and acres of plants, trees, flowers, and ponds. There was probably even more that we didn't even get to see. This is one of the larger lakes/ponds of the park.

Not so much an interesting picture, but we couldn't decide if this was a baby pineapple or just another spiny object. What do you think? Do pineapples start out as smaller versions of themselves and grow, or do they start out as a bulb like this and mature into what we buy at the store?

One of the more unusual flowers. I took a lot of flower pictures. I mean, it WAS a botanical garden. I might just have to do a whole post of all the flowers. 


This is where we will return in spring. Nothing better than a hammock with beautiful surroundings. Ahhhhh.

Totem pole. Not sure what this is doing in Japan. I thought it was an Indian (excuse me, Native American) thing. You know, I'm starting to think that these Okinawans just take little parts of lots of cultures and made a new one. I swear half of the culture is Mexican. I'll save that for another post. 

Japanese fall foliage


Our Rockefeller Plaza-esque tree - except in Japan and most likely artificial. Complete with hibiscus and butterflies. I think at night this place may turn into a watered down Santa's Wonderland. Unfortunately, the previously mentioned ominous clouds prevented us from witnessing the lights (in the dark). Plus we had husbands to feed. (Well, my friend fed us all. I made cupcakes. )


Overall a good way to pass the afternoon (and 1000 yen). As green and beautiful as it was in December, I can't imagine what it will look like in the spring/summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment