Thursday, December 17, 2009

Baking, etc.

Just call me Martha. I finished a DAY of baking...2 batches of Granny's icebox cookies, a batch of ginger snaps (= over a hundred cookies), pizza dough, and pesto all from scratch. Whew. I don't think my Kitchenaid has ever worked that hard. It was a pretty good day, baking in my Anthropologie apron, listening to Christmas music.

P.S. Just was listening to the Josh Groban "I'll Be Home for Christmas"...the one with the servicemen saying their Merry Christmases from Iraq...I cry everytime I hear that one.

Speaking of baking...a few weeks ago I picked up some sweet potatoes from the commissary. Mind you, the commissary usually carries produce flown in from the US (which usually means it is overripe/bad, but that's another story). These were apparently Japanese. I baked 'em up and came up with this:


I don't know about you, but every sweet potato I've ever had was orange. These were for sure sweet potatoes, tasted sweet and everything, they just were white! (And a little dry.) You never know when you're going to run into something new over here. They were pretty good, but I guess we miss out on some beta carotene.


And Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment