Monday, October 26, 2009

Did you know?

This is more of an "FYI" post than an update of our life, but a perhaps useful lesson, especially as we near the holidays. I'd like to introduce my friend: The flat-rate priority mail box.


As the name implies, it's a flat rate to send the box, no matter the weight (I think up to 70 lbs...but unless you are shipping a box full of lead, it's probably fine.) The cool thing is you can order the boxes from the post office, and they will deliver the boxes...all for FREE (i.e. box and delivery = free). Then you just pay the shipping.

My interest has piqued on this subject as I have tried to figure out how to get Christmas gifts back to the states. I suppose this is my solution.

(For our moms...in case we still rate* Christmas gifts ;) ) Lucky for us, since we are "military personnel overseas" we have an "FPO" box, which basically means mail gets to us through the normal USPS. So only domestic fees apply. PLUS, the post office gives you a discount on the flat rate box shipping! I'm pretty sure both our moms love a good deal, right?

Besides that, if you feel so inclined to send a soldier/marine/airman (yes- a little military trivia- they all have different names based on the branch of service) that may be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan during the holiday season, these boxes and rates apply. Here's some info: http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2009/pr09_082.pdf#search='fpo'

Unfortunately, the US Health Services (or whoever is in charge) is not using this nifty, thrifty, swift(y) method of shipping...the swine flu vaccine isn't coming to the island until the beginning of December...

Footnotes:


I apologize for writing a post entirely about boxes. Don't worry, I'll be back with more from our ever-exciting life soon (enter sarcastic face)! I also think I've met my allotment of parenthetical phrases for the year. 


*"rate" in the military means "earn" or "can get"...I've forgotten what is normal word usage and what is military talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment